Hacklab is having a Summer BBQ! Mark your calendars!
Get some sun on that pale Hacker skin, enjoy the lake breeze, and have some fun on Toronto Island! I’ve booked a picnic site on Toronto Island for us on Saturday, June 11. I’ll arrange the necessary gear to provide cooking heat and bring some basic food tems. You can bring your own grillables and drinkables as well, and we can have some hacker gourmet action.
Bring a guest… bring lots of guests. Our permit allows us to have up to 100 people on our site.
There’s tons to do:
- Find the island geocaches!
- Do some hiking!
- Go check out the weird little community on Ward’s Island!
- Fall in the water! Be attacked by geese and swans!
- Check into Foursquare from a boat!
- Bring throwable objects to test and refine the strange built-in human ability to predict a ballistic trajectory well enough to actually snatch a flying object out of the air! It may improve your Angry Birds score!
- Bring your computers and set up an ad-hoc LAN Party! (no generators, please!)
- Build yourself a kite (there are tons of plans on the interweb), attach an Arduino or digital camera, and have some aerial fun!
- Take cool photos of the Toronto skyline!
- Try out the sketchy Centre Island rides and petting zoo!
Date: Saturday, June 11 2011
Time: 2pm – 7pm
Where: Olympic Island, Picnic Site 18
How to get there: Take the Centre Island ferry from the bottom of Bay Street. Our site is about a 5 minute walk from the ferry dock. Just follow the paths to the left and cross the little bridge onto Olympic Island.
What to bring:
- Sunscreen and a Hat
- Tasty beverages (park rules say they must be non-alcholic)
- Lots of water
- Insect repellant
- Things to Grill
- Outdoor Amusements
- Bicycle or in-line skates
If you want to bring your own cooking equipment, it must be charcoal or wood powered.
What NOT to bring, according to the park rules:
- Amplified music or PA system
- Inflatable games, dunk tanks, generators, tents or tarps
- Outside caterers
- Compressed flammable gasses (they are not allowed on the ferry)
- Ballons, decorations, or signage
- Alcoholic beverages
Feel free to contact me if you’d like to help out with organization or logistics… I’d appreciate it!